Epileptic boy chained for two years rescued in Kebbi

Kebbi State Police Command has arrested a father and his three wives for allegedly chaining the man’s 11-year-old son in an animal stall for two years.

The boy, named Jibril Aliyu, from Badariya Area of Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi State, reportedly lost his mother 2 years ago. His stepmothers allegedly began maltreating him afterwards and denied him proper care.

The epileptic boy was reportedly chained with animals and had to survive by eating remnants of the animals’ food. He also sometimes ate his own faeces, Manir Jega who shared photos and videos of the boy’s rescue said.

Manir adds: “As a result of monstrous and nefarious treatment he was subjected to, he entirely lost his senses and behaves exactly like an animal.”

The Public Relations Officer (PPRO) of the command, DSP Nafi’u Abubakar, confirmed the arrest of the boy’s father and stepmothers to newsmen in Birnin Kebbi on Monday.

He said: “Yes our men have arrested a father to an 11-year-old, Jibrin Aliyu, and three wives for allegedly chaining the boy for over two years.

“Our men arrested the suspects on Sunday in Badariya area of Birnin Kebbi Local Government, and the boy is at Sir Yahaya Memorial Hospital as the investigation is still ongoing to unravel the circumstances behind chaining the boy in animal stall for that period.”

While speaking with newsmen, an elder brother to the victim, Bilal Aliyu, who denied chaining the boy, said that the boy was temporarily chained for fear of missing from the house because he is epileptic from birth.

“My brother whom we happen to be from the same father was epileptic right from when he was born, but periodically recovers from his ailment which was why he was sent to school until his situation got worse while was in primary two.

“After my father got separated from his mother (the boy’s mother), his mother had took him to her patents village with a view to stay with her, and it was when his ailment became worse that our father took him back and then his mother eventually died.

“I can tell you, our father went to a great length to ensure that my brother got the best treatment he deserved, to the extent of selling out his house and car in the course of the treatment, and unfortunately all was to no avail,” he said.

Aliyu claimed that the boy was only chained in the day time and taken to his room in the evening, adding that this hasn’t gone on for more than one year.

The boy is now in the hospital and responding to treatment.

Tweets from one of the people who rescued him:

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.